The older boys have spent all their spare time over the last two months working on fixing up Simon’s house. A young family plans to move over here in about a month, and they want to rent the house, but it was unlivable without a lot of work. The work began on Monday right after New Year’s. Our boys and Gayle and the man who is planning to live in the house spent that day gutting the kitchen and living area. They accomplished a lot of demolition in one day. A week later, Simon and Elijah went over the hill to pick up a kitchen Simon bought on Trade Me. The next day, they set it up in the house to see how it would fit. They wanted my input on how to organize it, so I went over and while I was there I took some pictures. These first two pictures were taken after nearly an hour of discussion and poor Simon was saying he had a headache from all the thinking. I got out of there so he didn’t have to listen to me any more. They got busy on other jobs for the day.
The ceilings were very uneven so several of them spent several days putting small boards in between the the rafters to straighten out so the gypboard will be able to go on properly. Before they had even gotten the cupboards they had poured a new concrete floor in the kitchen. The original floor was very uneven and varied 2 inches in height from one side to the other. It was also extremely rough.
The next step was to bring up the living room floor to match the kitchen floor. While they were doing this they added insulation under the plywood between the original floor and the new plywood.
After that they tore out the side wall of the house and framed in a new window and door.
The first Monday of February, I had the chance to stop in and see the progress. It was good to see the new wall frame done.
Wiring was being added to the kitchen and although you can’t see it, they had put in a sliding door to the laundry room, over to the right.
The old window in the living room had been taken out and they were replacing framing in that wall.
Simon took these two pictures yesterday after they finished working. As you can see they’ve been very busy framing and adding the doors, and have added cladding to the house and two sides.
The flowers at that house were very pretty in early January. This is the flower bed along the garage walking up to the door of the house.
Here are close-ups of a couple of the especially pretty flowers.
Leave a Comment