We finally got the new raised-bed gardens filled with soil today. We had been trying to decide, for a month and a half or so, what to fill them with. A local man had topsoil for sale, but it would have cost nearly a thousand dollars to get that. We thought about using straight compost, since Gayle can get that cheaply from work, but that wouldn’t be good for growing tomatoes. There is a pile of rubbish and clay pushed up in the “pear orchard” near our house, so we decided to have a friend who has a Bobcat, a digger, and a big dump truck come today to sift through that pile and get what’s good from it, then fill in with compost. Apparently, the boys told our landlord’s son we were going to do that, and yesterday morning he came to the house and told me that his dad’s cousin, another farmer here in the area, had a pile of topsoil to get rid of–for nothing! He took Simon over to show him where it was. Simon came home saying it might be enough to fill half of one of the two beds, but I just knew that if God had given us that soil it would be enough for the job. When our friend arrived this morning, he went and got a load. Immediately, we knew we had plenty of soil! He ended up bringing three loads, and smoothing it out, and then he and Gayle went over to where Gayle works and got a load of compost. Once we get the smoothing out finished, it looks as though we’ll have a couple of lovely garden plots!