Just before Christmas, we started working on recladding the house. For a week, until we took off for a weekend over New Year’s to visit friends in Kaikoura, all the men in the family focused on pulling off the old weatherboards and putting up new ones. Then, Simon started work on his house, and Gayle kept puttering away at this one, with help from James on a couple of days, until they all went back to work.
See how rotten that sill is? It had to be replaced. Later, they also replaced the pile at the corner of the house.
This side is insulated, and the building paper is going up to keep the house drier!
One day, I saw several of them on top of the house. They had pulled the weatherboards off the end, and couldn’t put up a new fascia board because so much was rotted out up there at the top. So, part of the roof was pulled off, several purlins replaced and a new fascia board put on, and the roof replaced–all in one day
.Finishing up the gable end. We had to get the electric company out to pull the fuse so the cable could be safely unhooked, the weatherboards put up, and the cable hooked up to the house again. We had about two hours to do all that before they returned to put the fuse back in at the pole.
This was the most challenging part of the entire project. Gayle spent a couple of days working out the angles to cut the boards to get it to look right under the bay window, and then James took a couple of days off working on Simon’s house and helped him get it finished. They started all over again at least once. It came out looking good–but what a process!
In early February, Gayle had a day off work, so he started painting the house. With help from Esther and the younger children, they got the first coat on the two sides that were replaced. We need to get the other two coats on yet, but it’s a start.
We’re hoping for a warmer, drier house this winter! We should do the other two sides of the house, but not this year. These were worst, so they got done first.